A South Jersey couple critically injured (burn injury) when their house exploded less than two years ago reached a $1.9 million settlement with a propane company and a contractor.
About seven months before the explosion, the couple decided to convert from propane to natural gas to heat their house. They canceled their account with South Jersey Fuel & Propane, but a tank with propane still in it was never removed from their home.
Meanwhile, Shore Guys Heating & Air Conditioning LLC performed the gas conversion and cut several pipes carrying propane to their home, but failed to disconnected them from the propane tank, the couple’s suit alleged.
On Nov. 6, the plaintiffs asked a neighbor to help them light their fireplace. The neighbor noticed the valve on the propane tank was closed and turned it on, causing the propane to flow into lines and collect under the house, 6ABC.com said. The next day when they turned on the shower, the propane that had been gathering exploded.
The couple suffered severe burns as well as broken bones.