Falls from a Ladder and High Elevation: According to an article found in the New Jersey law Journal, a man recently received an $845,000 settlement for injuries that occurred in falling from a ladder. The settlement was awarded in Hunterdon County. At the Law Office of Gill and Chamas we handle many cases involving falls at a worksite including ladder accidents as wells accidents that occur from a fall of high elevation.
Peter Chamas was able to recover a $1.4 million settlement for one of his clients who fell off a ladder while working on the New Jersey Turnpike. While the plaintiff was up on the extension ladder, the ladder slid sideways and caused the plaintiff to fall off the 12 foot ladder. As a result of the accident the plaintiff suffered a tear of the right knee that required multiple surgeries.
When working on a ladder or other elevated surfaces, it is important to take the following steps to ensure your safety at all times:
- Examine the ladder for defects before you climb up. If you find the ladder is unsafe, label and it broken and remove it so no one else can use it.
- Make sure the ladder has slip resistant pads.
- When dealing with electricity be sure you are using a fiberglass ladder.
- Place the ladder in a safe location away from a high traffic areas.
- When climbing up a ladder always make sure you have three points of contact at all times.
- Do not carry anything up the ladder that can cause you to lose your balance or tip the ladder over.
- Do not stand on top of a ladder.
These safety tips were taken from the following website:
If you or someone you know has been injured due to a fall from a ladder or other high elevation, contact the fall accident injured attorneys at Gill and Chamas for a free consultation (732) 324-7600.