Follow these tips to help make the festivities fun and safe for everyone!
Tips for Trick-or-Treaters!
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
- Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see and others see you. WALK and don’t run from house to house.
- Only walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Only visit well-lit houses. Never accept rides from strangers.
- Never walk near lit candles or luminaries. Be sure to wear flame-resistant costumes.
- Be sure walking areas and stairs are well-lit and free of obstacles that could cause someone to fall.
- Keep candle-lit jack o’lanterns and luminaries away from doorsteps, walkways, landings, and curtains. Place them on sturdy tables, keep them out of the reach of pets and small children, and never leave them unattended.
- Remind drivers to watch out for trick-or-treaters and to drive safely.
Tips courtesy of http://www.cdc.gov/family/halloween/