Railroad Worker Injuries: What should I do after an injury?

If you are a railroad worker and have been injured on the job, there are important steps you should take immediately after an accident happens. The railroad company will look to protect themselves so you should follow these steps once the incident occurs. The actions you take following a railroad workplace injury will either help the success of your case or diminish the value of your claim quickly.


  1. Report the injury loud and clear. Make sure you report the injury to your supervisor. You can say it loud enough so that co-workers or others can hear you as well.
  2. Request medical treatment immediately. You should ask to see a medical professional right after you are injured. Even if you consider the injury to be minor, you should receive immediate medical care. It is also a good idea to reach out to your primary doctor after the immediate care. It is against the law for the railroad to delay you from getting medical attention.
  3.  File a report. It is important to filed a written report after you are injured. You should also maintain a copy of the report so you have for your records. In the report, make note of any hazards, defective tools, or unsafe work practices that caused your injuries.
  4. Take photographs of the scene and your injuries. It is helpful to have photos or videos of the scene and your injuries.
  5. See if there are any witnesses. Ask a co-worker if they saw the injury and if they were also aware of any unsafe or dangerous working conditions that may have caused your injury.
  6. Do not give a recorded statement. The railroad company will be looking for information to use against you as they will want to settle your case for less than you deserve. You are not required to give a recorded statement.
  7. Stay off of social media. Do not go on social media sites and speak about the injury. You should also not be on social media doing any activities with a significant injury.
  8. Contact an experienced attorney for a free consultation. Call our office at 732-324-7600 immediately after you have been injured.


« Previous      Next »


Recognition held by some of our attorneys:

*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Before making your choice of attorney, you should give this matter careful thought. The selection of an attorney is an important decision. For the comparison standards employed by the various lawyer rating companies, please visit superlawyers.com, bestlawyers.com, milliondollaradvocates.com, law.com, avvo.com, and thenationaltriallawyers.org. Award is conferred on at least 100 lawyers per state, not 100 lawyers in America. Prior Results do not guarantee a similar outcome, nor does visiting this website create an attorney client relationship.*

Tell Us About Your Case

Don’t hesitate. Don’t wonder. Don’t field questions from aggressive insurance companies. Contact Gill & Chamas, LLC today.

Contact Us

We serve clients throughout New Jersey

  • Woodbridge
  • New Brunswick
  • East Brunswick
  • Edison
  • North Brunswick
  • South Brunswick
  • Piscataway
  • Linden, Clark
  • Rahway
  • Middletown
  • Old Bridge
  • Sayreville
  • Perth Amboy
  • Elizabeth
  • Newark
  • Union
  • Middlesex County
  • Union County
  • Somerset County
  • Monmouth County
  • Mercer County
  • Hudson County
  • Bergen County
  • Ocean County
  • Atlantic County
  • Bergen County
  • Burlington County
  • Essex County
  • Mercer County
  • Middlesex County
  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Passaic County
  • Somerset County
  • Sussex County
  • Union County
  • Warren County

Contact Us

655 N Florida Grove Road
Woodbridge, NJ 07095

3509 U.S. 9
Howell Township, NJ 07731

Phone: 732-324-7600
Fax: 732-324-7606