NY Man claims exploding iPhone left him with severe burnsMarch 3, 2015

A New York man says his iPhone blew up in his pocket and that he wound up in a hospital.

Erik Johnson of Lindenhurst says his iPhone 5C spontaneously erupted in extreme heat while it was in his pants pocket, giving him second and third-degree burns on his leg the size of a football.

He was headed to a wake for his cousin in New Jersey on February 14, Johnson said, and he dropped his car keys.

“When I went to bend over, I heard a pop,” he told CNN. “I heard a sizzling, and I ended up ripping my pants off to stop it from burning me.”

Johnson said he didn’t know what was causing the pain at first and there was no warning — just an extreme burn and a lot of pain. In a panic, he quickly started ripping at his pants as the phone began to melt the edges of his pocket shut, he said.

“I was trying to get it out of my pocket,” he said. “It started burning right through my pants. It was burning my leg, and I had to get my pants off somehow.”

Johnson’s brother, who was with him at the time, decided to drive him to the hospital.

They drove to the Bayonne Medical Center in New Jersey. After being evaluated in the emergency room, Johnson was taken by ambulance to the Burn Center at Staten Island University Hospital. The burn center confirmed to CNN that he spent 10 days there receiving treatment.

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/02/us/new-york-iphone-explosion/

« Previous     Next »