A 27-year-old Seattle man is suing Chipotle restaurants after he was infected with E. coli in July during an undisclosed outbreak tied to the fast-food chain. Three months later, Chipotle closed dozens of sites in the Northwest because of potential illness.
A cafe and bakery worker, said he fell ill starting July 25 after eating pork carnitas, white rice, salsa, peppers, guacamole and chips at a Chipotle restaurant at 1415 Broadway in Seattle. He was hospitalized from July 30 through Aug. 2 with an E. coli O157: H7 infection later tied to the restaurant, according to a complaint filed late last month in U.S. District Court in Western Washington.
Chipotle restaurants faced a series of outbreaks of multiple types of illness across the U.S. in 2015, including salmonella infections that sickened 64 people in Minnesota and norovirus infections that sickened about 300 customers in Ventura, Calif., in August and about 140 people, mostly college students, in Boston in December. In addition, the CDC is investigating another outbreak of a second strain of E. coli O26 that sickened five people in three states who ate at Chipotle restaurants.
Read more: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/seattle-man-sues-chipotle-fell-ill-months-before-big-outbreak/