Carbon monoxide poisoning killed two people and injured 12 others Saturday afternoon at a Passaic music studio, according to the mayor. The two individuals who died were in a room on the second floor of the multi-use commercial building, while the others were in separate rooms. The second floor of the building is comprised of a series of small recording studios, he said.
A 911 call alerted authorities to the incident after the other dozen individuals began choking and acting confused, he said.
Officials said a dozen people were being treated at St. Mary’s Hospital in Passaic, St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson and Hackensack University Medical Center.
Six of the patients were in stable condition at St. Mary’s Hospital, according to hospital spokeswoman Vanessa Warner.
The source of the carbon monoxide is currently under investigation, but the fire alarm system was operating at the time, Fire Chief Patrick Trentacost said.
According to state regulations, carbon monoxide detectors are not required in mixed-use commercial buildings.
Firefighters were gathered outside the building along with a hazardous materials team and investigators. Crews from Wallington, Lyndhurst, Moonachie and Clifton were among fire departments working at the building.
Please read the full article here: http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/12/mayor_two_dead_12_injured_by_carbon_monoxide_poisoning_at_music_studio.html#incart_river