Bicycle Accidents: As summer and the warm weather approaches it is important for drivers to keep an eye out for adults and children on bicycles. Be sure to use caution around bike lanes, schools and neighborhoods where there are people on bikes. Here are some basic safety tips for cyclists to stay safe while riding:
- Wear a proper fitted helmet
- Adjust your bike so it fits you and your specific body type
- Check all your equipment before riding (tires, brakes, etc.)
- Present yourself in a way that you can be seen easily by other drivers
- Have control of your bike at all times
- Keep a look out for dangerous road hazards like potholes and rocks
- Try and avoid riding at night, if you are riding at night be sure to wear reflective gear so you can be seen
For more tips and informational on bicycle safety please visit: www.nhtsa.gov
Bicycle Accident Attorneys: Even after all the proper safety measures are taken, accidents can still occur which is why you must rely on a bicycle accident lawyer who will make the situation less stressful. At Gill & Chamas, we act as your spokesperson and advocate, making sure your rights are fully protected after a bicycle accident. If you or your loved one has been injured by others’ carelessness or disregard for safety, you may be entitled to seek compensation to cover your losses. As a cyclist, you maintain the same rights as every other motor vehicle on the road.
Our team of attorneys have represented many victims of bicycle accidents. Some of our notable verdicts and settlements include:
$7,100,000 – The family of a man who was killed in a bicycle race agreed to settle their Middlesex County lawsuit. A competitive cyclist suffered a traumatic head injury when he collided with the chief referee in the race.
$1,950,000 – Morris County boy on bicycle suffered multiple injuries after he was struck by a driver.
$1,580,813 – VERDICT – Jury awarded after municipality refused to offer suggested $150K for woman who was struck and had her arm run over while riding her bicycle.
Contact the Law Offices of Gill and Chamas for a free consultation (732) 324-7600